We didn't have any appointments schedules after church so we did some finding at the bus stop and then did some street contacting on the way home. A guy from South Africa walked up to us asking who we were and eventually, we got to teach him a bit of the Restoration. Huge tender mercy after not being able to talk to very many people that evening.
One thing that stuck out to me in Sunday School yesterday was when the teacher posed the question: "do I know Christ"? He let us all ponder about it for a bit and then explained that if we know Christ, then most likely our children will, and so on and so forth. He compared this to Nephi and Jacob in the Book of Mormon and how they invite us all to believe in Christ and His words.
I've gained such a stronger testimony of the Book of Mormon thus far, and with that has come such huge appreciation for how it came about. President Checketts sent us a bit of information on the marvelous work and wonder that has taken place. He said this is the first half and the second half will be next week:
Occasionally you hear someone say, “I could believe your Mormon Doctrine if I just didn’t have to swallow the story about Joseph Smith being a man of God and that he translated the Book of Mormon from some golden plates which he claimed he found on a hillside. “ It is even possible that you, yourself, have doubted his story. Well, let us consider some facts or conditions that must be complied with in order for you or someone else to produce a similar record under comparable conditions.
1. You must be between 23 and 24 years of age.
2. You cannot be a college graduate. In fact, you can only have three years of formal schooling.
3. Whatever you write must be on the basis of what you know.
4. You must write a book with 239 chapters; 54 of them about wars, 21 about history, 55 about prophecy, 71 about doctrines, 17 about missionaries, and 21 about the mission of Christ.
5. You must include in your writings the history of two distinct and separate nations, along with histories of different contemporary nations or groups of people.
6. Your writings must describe the religious, economic, social and political cultures and institutions of these two nations.
7. You must weave into your history the religion of Jesus Christ and the pattern of Christian living.
8. When you start to produce this record, covering a period over 1,000 years, you must finish it in approximately 80 days.
9. When you have finished, you must not make any changes in the text. The first edition must stand forever.
10. After pauses for sleep and food, if you are dictating to a stenographer, you must never ask to have the last paragraph or last sentence read back to you.
11. Your history or record must be long, approximately 522 pages with over 150 words per page.
12. You must announce that your “smooth narrative” is not fiction, but true, yes, sacred history.
13. In fact, it must fulfil the Bible prophecies; even in the exact manner in which it shall come forth, to whom given, and its purpose and accomplishments.
14. You must publish it to every nation, kindred, tongue and people, declaring it to be the word of God.
15. You must include with the record itself this marvelous promise: “And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask of God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, He will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.”
I know that the Book of Mormon was translated by the Prophet Joseph Smith, and that is the only evidence we need for the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There is a living Prophet upon the earth today, as are 12 Apostles, just as in the day of Christ. Way excited to watch Conference this weekend!
Love you heaps,
- 1 Peter 2:21
"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:"
Christ has showed us the way. It might not always be easy to follow in His footsteps, but I know that as we strive to do so, the Lord will bless us in so many ways.
Easter Pass Along Cards (Follow Him and Find New Life)