Sunday, November 1, 2015

First Transfer in the Books

Wow.  Days are very long, but weeks fly by, just like in the MTC.  I swear I was just there, but I've already been out in the field for 6 weeks!  

It really gives you a perspective of things.  Everybody says that their mission flew by, but I didn't really believe them until probably Week 4 of last transfer.  If you think about it, you have 17 transfers on your mission, which means 17 planners.  Last night, I finished my first planner and I know that if I keep working to fully forget myself in the work, before I know it, I'm gonna hit my last transfer, like Elder Cecilio from my District.  

Wednesdays are typically our busy day in the area.  We travel out to Greenwich Chapel early in the morning for our district meeting, then travel back for lunch and a few appointments.  We had our usual appointment with the Martin's, which means we get fed a real home-cooked meal!  I always enjoy our Wednesday night appointment with them, we'll start off talking about random things, but it'll always lead back to a gospel topic.  

Every Thursday, we have a weekly planning.  The first couple weeks, I saw it as oh man, another 2-3 hours stuck in the flat.  But over time, I'v been reminded of the importance of planning.  If we don't set goals for the upcoming week, we have nothing to work towards.  If we don't plan out who we want to visit and what we're going to teach them, our week is gonna consist of heaps of tracting.  So the more effective we plan on Thursday, the more effective our week will be.  

We also had the opportunity to give a priesthood blessing to a older lady in the Manly Ward.  The Sisters called us the night before and asked if we could go and give one of their members a blessing, but they didn't really know what for.  When we got there, the lady explained to us what she was feeling and that she knew a blessing would help her.  It was so cool to see how much faith she had in the priesthood, and it really made the Spirit so strong as I gave her that blessing.  

On Friday, we got to visit a lot of people, including an old man named Jack.  He's visited Hawai'i a few times and one of his friends just came back with heaps of Star Advertiser newspapers, so I got to see a Hawai'i newspaper for this first time in 8 weeks! Haha simple pleasures.  

We also got to visit Melissa for the first time in a few weeks.  It was great to see how much she's enjoyed visits from the missionaries in the past, and we're really excited to begin teaching her again.  

Friday night, we had our transfer call, where everybody finds out if they're staying or leaving.  We have good news, we're staying in the Harbord Area (at least until December 13th) and Elder Lamipeti has been called as the District Leader!  

Saturday was a little weird because Halloween is either loved or hated in Australia.  A lot of people dislike it because it's American.  Some streets had tons of kids out and others had nobody.  We went to our Ward Trunk-or-Treat, but then decided to go do some tracting on a street where nobody was trick-or-treating in hopes of being more productive, and we had some quality conversations with people.  

Fast Sunday was great because many of the members got up and bore testimony about the truthfulness of our gospel.  Sundays are tough for me because I have three hours to think about family or the ward back home, but their testimonies really helped to lift me up.  It helped to confirm why I'm here and the work that we do: we as missionaries are here to spread the true gospel to everybody by helping them come closer to Christ.  

Last night, we met with our investigator, Edimur, for the last time.  We're very sad that he's moving, but we know the missionaries up north with help to keep him progressing as he learns more about the gospel.  

Today is the first day of my second transfer, and I'm ready to continue on with the work!  Elder Lamipeti and I have set some high goals and we know that as we work hard to accomplish them, we'll be able to see success.  

Shootz!
Elder Muh 

Word and Phrase of the Week:
- Lift, Elevator
- Give me a buzz, Give me a call

Ponderize
- Just wanted to give a thank you to the Mililani 4th Ward YW for making me the notebook, it's perfect to take notes on all the scriptures I'll be ponderizing! 
- I'd also like to thank Brother Simnitt for the letter he sent me.  In it, he included a verse from 2 Nephi, which is what I'll be ponderizing this week.
- 2 Nephi 11:3
"And my brother, Jacob, also has seen him as I have seen him; wherefore, I will send their words forth unto my children to prove unto them that my words are true.Wherefore, by the words of three, God hath said, I will establish my word. Nevertheless, God sendeth more witnesses, and he proveth all his words."
As Brother Simnitt told me, there are three witnesses for many things.  In this verse, Isaiah, Nephi, and Jacob have all seen Christ and testify of Him.  There were three witnesses for the Book of Mormon.  And lastly, there are three witnesses when we teach: me, my companion, and the Holy Ghost, and that is something I must always remember.  The people we teach shouldn't believe on our word, they should believe after receiving a witness by the power of the Holy Ghost, as spoken about in Moroni 10:3-5.  


Elder Arima and I trying kangaroo


 We found curry!!


Local grindz plus an Aussie favorite: sausage


 Tracting along the Northern beaches of Australia


Sydney Temple


Sydney Temple with Elder Lamipeti and Elder Cecilio who just completed his mission

No comments:

Post a Comment