Sunday, November 22, 2015

A Very Long Week in the Oven

Quick summary of this week: FIRE EMOJIS.  As some of you may have heard, yes it was deathly hot in Australia this week.  I was expecting hot summers (and I may have spoken too soon with the cool weather and weird rain) but I was definitely not expecting 108 degree weather or whatever the heck 42 degrees celsius converts too! 

Nevertheless, we tried to remain as positive as possible, which was hard to do sometimes when you were knocking on doors looking like you literally just stepped out of the shower.  However, the heat provided us with a few more opportunities through many glasses of water.  

Majority of the people here are very nice.  Even if they aren't interested in the message we have to offer them, they'll still offer us a glass of water.  Veeery nice.  So after being given water, we could slowly slide into a gospel conversation, some of which turned out to be very positive! 

This week was a little slow, especially with the heat, so I'll just share a few miracles that we were able to see this past week.  

First being on Wednesday after an appointment.  We had planned to go tracting, but didn't specify where because it depended on how long our appointment went.  We decided to go on a street just down the hill (one that we had passed a million times biking up the hill) and knock on a few doors.  We got to the street, saw that it was a cul-de-sac, I knew that we needed to go all the way to back and find a house there.  The last driveway opened up into a couple of houses, and we both felt prompted to knock on the door of an older house, one that didn't particularly look like anyone lived in.  

So we go knock on the door a couple times, and we're about to walk away, when a woman named Mary answered the door.  We told her a little bit about what we do, which she was interested in, so we began teaching her briefly the Restoration.  When we got to the Book of Mormon, I knew that I needed to explain to her what the Book was about.  Normally we don't go into too much detail about what the Book of Mormon is, so I was a little surprised to receive this prompting.  

We finished by bearing testimony of the truthfulness of the Book along with the Gospel, to which she replied that she would love to read the Book of Mormon and asked us how much it would cost her.  She also mentioned that she had relatives who were Mormon, but that she'd never heard about anything we had taught her that day.  We left her doorstep with massive smiles after giving her a copy of the Book of Mormon (for free, of course) and scheduling a return appointment for the following week.  

We had been praying to find someone that the Lord had prepared for us and I truly know that Mary was one of those souls that He did prepare for us.  It may have taken a while to find her, but through faith a prayer, we were able to see that miracle happen! 

The second miracle I'd like to share is more of a miracle day actually.  This week, we had a trade off with the zone leaders, and I had the opportunity to serve with Elder Vaughn (an American!) in the Eastwood area near the temple.  We started off the morning with some great studies and a few absolutely amazing role plays that really helped prepare me for the day. 

In preparing for an appointment later in the day, we needed an Arabic copy of the Book of Mormon and the Restoration pamphlet, both of which were in the flat.  Later on, we were able to not only come in contact with a Fijian investigator they had been trying to visit for three weeks with no luck, but we also helped her with her car and taught a SMASH lesson on the Restoration!

It was in this lesson that I gained a huge testimony of teaching simply.  Kelsa, the Fijian woman spoke really good English, but preferred to read in Fijian.  Because of this, we needed to teach very simply so that she could understand the principles of the Restoration.  I truly know that the Spirit guided Elder Vaughn and I during this lesson.  That was the first lesson he and I had taught together, but it flowed so well. We were able to address her concerns and commit her to attend sacrament meeting the following week!  Kelsa is sooo prepared! 

The Zone Leaders share a flat with the Assistants, so I was able to learn a ton from them as well.  Elder Ostler told us to "Love The Lord" as he walked out the door.  Throughout my studies this week, I've been able to realize as well as feel the love that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for us.  I am so grateful for all that they have done for us and the love that they continue to provide us every second of our lives.

This week was a little slow, but the miracles I saw this week really strengthened my testimony and helped to confirm why I'm out here serving a mission.  The Holy Ghost is real.  Revelation can be received.  The Spirit does guide.  Miracles can and do happen.  The Church is true.  

Love you heaps!
Elder Muh

Ponderize
- Alma 29:9
"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy."
Literally everything we have, do, and say comes from the Lord.  When we come to realize this, we become eternally grateful for everything that He has given us and recognize that He has blessed us with certain talents and skills to carry out His work upon this world.  We must not be prideful about these talents, but rather use them in a manner that will please the Lord.  






This lizard found in someone's yard made me think of Jaren!
It looks like a mini iguana

No comments:

Post a Comment