Sunday, October 11, 2015

$15 in Coins for Groceries

So last week, Elder Lamipeti and I collected all the coins we had in our flat and decided we would buy our groceries with them.  After email time, we headed over to the grocery store and paid about $15 in coins for some of our groceries.  It was pretty hilarious, we sat there for a good five minutes and put every single coin in. 

The past couple P-Days really made me appreciate all that Mom has taught me over the years.  Basic stuff like doing the dishes and washing laundry is a breeze. Some of the other things I realized, I do because Mom taught me to.  Throughout the week, I added to a grocery list in my planner to make shopping easier.  When we got home, I neatly organized everything into the fridge and cabinets, and then proceeded to tie up all the grocery bags to reuse later.  I'm pretty sure Elder Lamipeti sits there laughing at me, especially when I re-organized everything in the kitchen my second day there. Anyway, because I never said it enough at home, thank you mom, for everything that you've taught me.  

Living in a foreign country that is solely focused on footie (rugby), I've been deprived of American sports.  I've seen a Monday Night Football ad on the bus, and that's pretty much it.  There's been a few dudes walking around with the FIBA "Molten" basketballs that they use in the Olympics, which makes me so happy because there are still people here who enjoy basketball! 

While waiting for the bus this week, I saw a young man with a basketball who was wearing Nike iD's Lebron's. I knew this was the perfect opportunity for me.  I could relate to him on so many levels, I love basketball and shoes.  I started talking to him and eventually got to share a little bit about the gospel.  The young man, named Pema, from Tibet, was a huge Kobe fan, and was headed to play basketball at a nearby park.  We told him that we could play on Monday, so hopefully we get to play with him today and share more about the gospel! 

Since we don't have a car, our only methods of transportation are walking, catching the bus, or riding the train.  We carry this huge map around with us to help us find streets and are really grateful when members give us a ride, even if it's just a couple blocks to the chapel, because it saves so much time.  

This week, we also had a trade-off with a companionship in our District.  I went to the Greenwich area for the day with our District Leader, Elder Brown.  It was cool to see how different their area was from ours, but also to see that no matter what area you serve in, the work is always the same.  I was able to learn a lot from the example of Elder Brown, who has been out for a year and a half now. 

Because their flat is in an area where there are tons of Asian students, they have a rice cooker, so I got to eat rice and it was amazing! We also ate sushi for dinner because all the restaurants in that area are Asian foods.  Eating foods from home made me realize how much I miss Taco Bell, which they do not have here in Australia... 

And now, General Conference!  I have to admit, it felt really weird watching all the sessions a week after they actually happened.  Nevertheless, it was still great to hear from all the prophets and apostles of the church.  I particularly enjoyed the testimonies of the three new apostles, and the talks given by the First Presidency throughout various sessions of Conference.  My favorite talk was from Elder Larry R. Lawrence, who challenged us to ask "what lack I yet"?  This phrase stuck with me all weekend, and I was able to find the answer to that question through diligent prayer, as well as through other talks given.  

There are many things that we can all work on, but the important thing to remember is that Christ is always there for us.  Like Elder Haynie said, He will always be there to clean the mud from us, and he will never turn away from us.  All we need to do is open our eyes and we'll see all the blessings that Christ has bestowed upon us.  The love that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have for us is immeasurable, and I have definitely been able to feel that love, especially in my past three weeks here in Australia.  

I know that all the messages shared during Conference were inspired by God, that the three new apostles called were called by God, and that through diligent prayer, we can receive answers to any questions that we may have.  The Holy Ghost is real, and it speaks to us every single day.  All we have to do it listen. 

Love you heaps!
Elder Muh 

Word/Thought of the Week:
-Trolley, Shopping cart at a grocery store 
-Hungry Jacks is the Burger King here and yes, it is just as expensive as America 



Many parrots roam free in our area

No comments:

Post a Comment